The SERP (search engine result pages) that everyone sees after querying a term on Google have recently changed significantly.
The changes have quite an impact on both PPC and organic search. For both organic and PPC, the maximum number of positions on the first page of Google have decreased. This means there is even more competition for the coveted first page.
Here are details of the most prominent changes:
For Paid Search:
- Google will no longer show text ads in the right sidebar
- As many as four text ads will display above the organic listings
- As many as three text ads will below the organic listings
- The maximum number of text ads per page is 7, formerly 11
- Product listing ad blocks and knowledge panels (some with test ads) will show on the right sidebar in place of text ads
For Organic Search:
- The number of listings can be as few as 7 and as many as 10, depending on ad activity for the term
Just a few questions include “will this change skyrocket CPC?” and “Are there even more changes coming that will increase text ad places and decrease organic since incremental changes are easier to take?”
Only time will tell, as we adjust our strategies to the changes and keep our finger on the ever-changing pulse in the online marketing industry.
About the Author
Beverly MapesFounder & President, Top Of The List
Bev founded Top Of The List in 2006 and has over 25 years of experience working with technology. In her free time, she competes in dog agility competitions with her Golden Retrievers, Cosmo, and Finn.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?